Turkey strongly supports the proposals of the UN report on the murder of the murderers and the prosecution of those responsible for the murder of Jamal Hasogdzi on Wednesday, wrote Mevlüt Cavusoglu, Turkish Foreign Minister on Twitter on Wednesday.
Agnes Callamard, UN reporter in charge of investigating the murder, said Wednesday that credible evidence calls for an investigation into the role of Mohamed bin Szalmán’s Saudi throne. “Finding the truth does not end in finding the one who pulled the trigger,” Callamard said.
Saudi Arabia had previously firmly rejected all assumptions that Mohamed bin Salman would have had anything to do with the death of a repressive journalist in Riyadh. Recalling this somewhat, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had repeatedly voiced his conviction that the command had arrived from the highest circles in the Saudi government and called for accountants to be accountable regardless of their rank.
The rapporteur also proposed on Wednesday that the trial of the accused should be conducted in an international court outside Saudi Arabia and Turkey. There have been eleven people in the desert kingdom since January, five of whom have been prosecuted by the prosecutor.
Jamal Hasoghiz, who has been living in the United States since 2017, was murdered on 2 October 2018 at the Consulate General of Saudi Arabia in Istanbul
she went for the documents she needed to marry her bride. Riyadh denied the murder for the first time, but later, despite the fact that the sound recordings revealed the fact of murder, he claimed that the journalist had lost his life. Hasogdzsi’s corpse has not yet been discovered.
Hatice Cengiz, the Turkish journalist of Saudi journalist, responded to Wednesday’s UN report as a “welcome development” on his Twitter account, calling for Callamard to investigate the role of the Saudi throne. He added that it is time for the UN Security Council to move on.