The trial of the Paris attacks of 17 January 2015, which opened 17 January 2015 as the opening of the Jihadist series of attacks in France, will take place from 20 April to 3 July 2020 in a jury in Paris, said judicial sources on Friday.
On January 7, 2015, two French Jihadists entered the editorial office of the Charlie Hebdo satirical weekly in Paris, where 12 people were killed and 11 injured. The attackers were persecuted by the police for two days. Meanwhile, a third partner shot a police officer in one of the southern suburbs of the capital, and next day he took hostages at a kosher grocery store, four of whom were killed. The police simultaneously launched all three terrorists in action and freed the hostages. In the three-day attacks, 17 were killed, including three policemen and 21 injured. The series of attacks was the overture of an Islamist assassination wave in France, which lost 251 lives.
As a result of last year’s investigation, 14 people were subjected to proceedings, 11 of them in pre-trial detention. All suspects deny that they knew about the preparations for the attacks. Three people, including the assumed customer and the wife of one of the jihadists, have an arrest warrant against him. They traveled to Syria after the attacks, and the French press repeatedly reported their deaths, but this was not confirmed by official sources.
The investigation soon revealed that Charlie Hebdo’s brother-in-law brother-in-law, Chérif and Said Kouachi, and Amédy Coulibaly, a police woman and hostage to Jewish hostages, could know each other. The threads led to an Islamic radical group in Eastern Paris, which was liquidated in 2005, which recruited European warriors to Iraq.
The main defendant is a 34-year-old Ali Riza Polat, a friend of the hostage-taker Amédy Coulibaly, whom the prosecution suspects has played a central role in the organization of the assassinations, and is therefore being prosecuted for suspected terrorist murder. He was assumed to have acquired weapons from Belgium, and his task was to remove the traces that could refer to the network carrying out the attack.
The Counter-Terrorism Division was also investigated in Yemen, where one of the Kouachi brothers visited in 2011. The attack on Charlie Hebdo was undertaken by al-Qaeda (AQAP) of the Arabian Peninsula, the al-Qaeda terrorist organization, whose leader, Kouachi’s siblings, friend Peter Cherift, was arrested in December in Djibouti and has since been transferred to France.